Role of the Board
The role of the Board is to establish the Vision and strategy for the Group, to deliver shareholder value and take responsibility for the long-term, sustainable success of the Company. Individual members of the Board have equal responsibility for the overall stewardship, management and performance of the Group and for the approval of its long-term objectives and strategic plans.
Division of responsibilities
There is a clear division of responsibilities between the role of the Chair and the Chief Executive Officer of the Company. The roles are clearly set out in writing.
- Leadership and management of the Board.
- Setting the Boards agenda, style and tone of discussions.
- Ensuring the Boards effectiveness in all aspects of its role.
- Working closely with the Chief Executive Officer on developing the Groups strategy, and providing general advice and support.
- Facilitating active engagement by all members.
- Participating in shareholder communications.
- Promoting high standards of corporate governance.
Chief Executive Officer
- Managing the Group's business.
- Developing Group strategy for consideration and approval by the Board.
- Leading the Senior Management Team (SMT) in delivering the Groups strategic and day-to-day operational objectives.
- Leading and maintaining communications with all stakeholders.
Senior Independent Director
- Acting as an intermediary for other Directors when necessary.
- Available to meet with shareholders and aid communication of shareholder concerns when normal channels of communication are inappropriate.
- Chairing meetings of Non-Executive Directors, if and when required.
- All responsibilities of a Non-Executive Director as outlined.
- Chairs meetings of the Nominations Committee when it is considering succession to the Chair.
- Provides a sounding board for the Chair and conducts the Chair’s annual evaluation.
Douglas Le Fort
- Constructively challenging and contributing to the development of strategy.
- Monitoring the integrity of financial information, financial controls and systems of risk management to ensure they are robust.
- Reviewing the performance of Executive Management.
- Formulating Executive Director remuneration.
- Responsibility for Workforce Engagement (by appointment).